The process to become a homeowner can be overwhelming and sometimes confusing, but don’t let that stop you. Owning a home is worth it, and the team at Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County is here to help remove the hassle and guide you every step of the way. We want you to experience the benefits of home ownership: Saving money, owning a safe home, & achieving family stability, just to name a few.
How can I become a homeowner? What does it take? Am I qualified? Do I need to have a down payment?
Great questions! They are all valid. Keep reading… we have the answers to those questions and more.
Requirements in order to be considered for home ownership:
- Income: Your gross annual income (before taxes) must be at least $34,000 for urban and suburban areas. In rural areas, minimum annual household income is $30,000.Not sure if your income meets these guidelines? Complete the application anyway and we will review for eligibility.
- Sweat Equity: What’s that? Each adult will volunteer 200 hours with Habitat. 100 of these hours will be on the construction site.
- Education: Owning a home is a huge responsibility, so we want to partner with you to make sure you are prepared and set up for success. Therefore, you will participate in a series of workshops hosted by Habitat for Humanity. Topics include home maintenance, personal finance, and budgeting.
- Savings: You will need to save $1,000 by opening a savings account and contributing a minimum of $25/month.
Once you determine you meet the above requirements, the documents below must be submitted with your application:
- 1 Month of your most recent pay stubs
- Most recent bank statement for all checking and savings accounts
- Most recent W2 or 1099 AND most recent Federal tax return
- Retirement monthly statement, if applicable
- Child support documentation, if applicable
- Social Security/Disability benefit or award letter, if applicable
- Letter introducing yourself and your family – letter must describe your current housing situation, your housing needs and how Habitat can help
Are you ready to submit your application? Determine the best option for you: download and print your application, OR apply online here!
Still have questions?
- How does bankruptcy affect my application?
- How much is a monthly mortgage payment?
- Do I have to be a resident of Monroe County to qualify?
Visit our list of Frequently Asked Questions to get answers to these questions and much more.
Still have more questions, overwhelmed, don’t know where to start? No worries. Please contact us directly for help. You can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, give us a call at 734-243-2048 x111, or complete this form and we will contact you.
Have credit issues or other barriers that prevent you from being eligible? We are here to partner with you. We have many tools and programs to provide support on your homeownership journey. We at Habitat for Humanity believe that every person deserves a decent place to call home, and we understand it is not an easy process. That is why we are committed to making the dream of affordable homeownership a reality for your family, just like we have for over 100 families in the past 25 years.